Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Nativity or Crèche?

Do you have a "nativity" in your house this Christmas season? Well, I would like to challenge you a little bit.

Growing up, I was surrounded by people that called it a "crèche" (say "kresh"). Through the years, I have always called it a crèche, and have had many people ask me about it. And, as a person that wonders why..... I did some research. So, let me share it with you.


According to dictionary.com a nativity is defined as "birth." This is all and good, until you read the definition of crèche. Crèche is defined as "a small or large modeled representation or tableau of Mary, Joseph, and others around the crib of Jesus in the stable at Bethlehem, as is displayed in homes or erected for exhibition in a community at Christmas season."


WOW. It is pretty cool, that all those years that Mimi referred to it as a crèche, she was actually teaching me something. So, it is now my mission, as it is most Christmas seasons.... to teach people what the real name of that "manger scene" is that we all sit on our tables or mantles. So, would you rather refer to it as just birth or something that actually includes a brief description of the birth of Jesus? I know what I prefer.


So, Mimi....as a tribute to you....I would like to say thank you for teaching me the true meaning of the fun scene we lay out...using just ONE word! I am so blessed.

No comments: